Monday 2 December 2013

The Diamond Ring







I was sleeping. 

My face carried an everlasting smile as I was returning back to my hometown after 10years of hard work in the city. I was dreaming of the days when my relatives and my cousins cursed me in every possible way and never hesitated to call me a ‘Loser.’

Well, someone who failed in his matriculation exam deserves to be called as such. My heart cried everyday but I never complained. I had no one to save me from them.

It’s not that I was an orphan but it won’t be wrong if I call myself a half orphan kid.
My father died even before I was born and my mom tried everything she could, for my upbringing. Since she hadn’t had any other source of income, she stayed with my maternal uncles. My maternal uncles never treated me different from their own kids but my result was enough for them to make shit out of me.
Except my mom, nobody had ever thought that I could achieve anything in my life.
Meanwhile, my sleep was disturbed as a female voice spoke on the speakerphone,
“All the passengers are requested to tighten their seal belt, as we are about to land”

I didn’t care her, I was sure nothing can touch me before I present my mom with the gift that I had bought for her. I checked the left pocket of the blazer that I was wearing. The gift was safely placed there without being disturbed. I had a sigh of relief and rested my back with a gentle smile.

The flight landed;
after the regular checkups I was out of the airport. A large number of people were waiting for the arrival of their loved ones. It would be very foolish of me if I start searching some familiar face. I shook my head,
how could there be any familiar face, do anyone even know I am back??

My Mind screamed with a big “NO”
My hometown was 120kms away from the Airport and there were no trains to that place. So rather than going in bus, I preferred to hire a taxi. After negotiating the rates I got myself seated in the rear seat. I didn’t have much luggage, just a bag pack of my favorite shirts and formals. I checked my pocket; the gift was safe getting the warmth of my black colored blazer.

I took it out and opened the top cover. A diamond pierced ring looked at me all smiling and glazing. It was for my mom; I searched every shop and had picked the best ring. It’s not that I was very rich but for my mother, I won’t mind spending all of my earnings.

The muddy and not so good road made my journey a little lengthier. I stopped the taxi near a flower vendor and took the best looking bouquet.

After 3hours I finally reached at my hometown. In these past years, many things had changed. The kachha houses were changed into pakka ones and market looks much bigger than it was 10years before.
After walking couple of miles, I reached the place where my mom lived; a grave.

She has died; died 10years back.

I placed the bouquet and the ring which I had bought for her on her grave. Tears rolled over my eyes and fall on her grave, her face was flashing all over my mind.

It had been 10years since her death. After her death there was no one whom I could have called mine so I run away from my house the day she died. It was my father who left me when I was born and it was my mother who left me when I was able to stand of my own….



Copyrighted: Santosh Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment