Tuesday 3 December 2013

A Bee & The Lotus








"More or Less,
             we all need Love"






A young and handsome Bee was in search of flower-nectar for purpose of making honey. He was flying but none of flower attracted him. 

Suddenly a sprouted red lotus, blossoming in a pool of waste water distracted the Bee through its fragrance. 

The Bee went near her and just when he was about to suck the nectar of the flower, Lotus closed herself. Bee got angry and with an annoying voice said, 
"You bitch, you are growing in waste. No one here cares about you. It is me who acknowledged your beauty, how dare you to close yourself ??"
Lotus very politely replied, "Dear Bee, in this world how could you get all for nothing. To get something, you must give or sacrifice something"
Bee replied angrily, "Ok don't blabber much just say what you want??"
The Lotus smiled and replied, "You have to find it yourself, come back to me when you are done."

The annoyed Bee flied. But his anger didn't allow him to forget the incidence. He was very much stubborn, he decided to do anything and everything in order to get nectar from Lotus.

He saw a Beetle flying, he went near him and asked, "Hello my friend, do you know what does the Lotus wants ??"
The Beetle replied, "How would I know, I never need Lotus for any of my work"

He then went to cloud and asked, "Hey beautiful cloud, do you know what Lotus wants ??"
Cloud replied, "Yes !!! She wants water"
Bee happily flied to Lotus and said, "I promise I will water you every day, now let me suck the nectar."
Lotus replied, "I get water from cloud, why would I take it from you, try again my dear Bee"

Confused Bee flied again, this time he went near sun and asked, “Hey Almighty, do you know what the Lotus wants”
The Sun dashingly replied, “Yes!!! She needs sleep” and thought *why would I help Bee, who is he to me??*

Bee happily flied to Lotus, “I promise I will sing for you and make you sleep.”
Lotus smiled and said, “Oh! My poor Bee the night makes me sleep calmly, why would I want that from you??”

Bee was helpless; he began crying and screamed all his heart out. 
A passing Sage heard his cry, he called Bee and said, “Every God’s creation needs love. Not only humans but even animals, flowers, birds all want love.”
The delighted Bee thanked the Sage and flied back to Lotus. 

He smiled and kissed her. The lotus smiled and opened her; the bee went in and stole the nectar…

[[ An English version of a Sanskrit story which I had read ]]

Its true this might be story but it tells us a number of things..


  • In this world, we all need love. A thing which is hard to be done through force or power can be easily done with Love...
  • Nobody wants to do anything without any favor. Here, to get anything we have to sacrifice something. Most in fact All are selfish here...
  • Nobody cares about you until and unless they have some work from you...
  • Last but certainly not the least, no one is a waste here, each and everyone are valuable in some or other manner....


Copyrighted: Santosh Panda

1 comment:

  1. First I thought that story was written in a style similar to moral stories for children in Panchatantra then I saw that it is a translation of a Sanskrit fiction. You know what you can experiment a little by restructuring the text and adding a bit of flow, result will be amazing.
    Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete